Posted by Rebecca
Here are a few things that were going on in 1927:
- The Holland Tunnel under the Hudson River opens, connecting New York and New Jersey.
- Charles Lindberg flies the first solo transatlantic flight.
- Work begins on Mount Rushmore.
- Josef Stalin takes power of the Communist Party in Russia.
- Benito Mussolini is Prime Minister of Italy.
- Roger Moore, Gina Lollobrigida, Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, and Pope Benedict XVI were all born.
- The Harlem Globetrotters play their first game.
- Ford Motor Company begins production of the Model A.
- The first telephone service between New York and London begins operation.
- A record cost $0.39, chicken was $0.42/lb., eggs were $0.59/dozen, milk was $0.56/gallon, and a raccoon coat would set you back $39.50.
- Oh, and this little trailer park was born, just steps from the Truckee River in Reno, Nevada.