Posted by Rebecca
Here are a few things that were going on in 1927:
– The Holland Tunnel under the Hudson River opens, connecting New York and New Jersey.
– Charles Lindberg flies the first solo transatlantic flight.
– Work begins on Mount Rushmore.
– Josef Stalin takes power of the Communist Party in Russia.
– Benito Mussolini is Prime Minister of Italy.
– Roger Moore, Gina Lollobrigida, Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, and Pope Benedict XVI were all born.
– The Harlem Globetrotters play their first game.
– Ford Motor Company begins production of the Model A.
– The first telephone service between New York and London begins operation.
– A record cost $0.39, chicken was $0.42/lb., eggs were $0.59/dozen, milk was $0.56/gallon, and a raccoon coat would set you back $39.50.
– Oh, and this little trailer park was born, just steps from the Truckee River in Reno, Nevada.