Posted by Rebecca
There’s a Bob Vila article buzzing around the internet today that has some great tips and photos to help you either make the leap to smaller-space living, or help you in your current small space home. My little trailer is about 450 square feet of living space. Here’s the gist of the article, but be sure to check out the full article for more information and a complete photo gallery.
– Use a beautiful armoire as a home office. The best part? When guests arrive, just close the doors – no messy office to tidy.
– Fill your tiny home with double-duty furniture, like ottomans or end tables that store clothing or blankets.
– If you have higher ceilings, hang shelves up to 18 inches from the ceiling for extra decorative storage or for your books.
– Glass, clear acrylic, or Lucite furniture can open up the space and add a modern touch.
– Mount a shallow shelf above your kitchen or bathroom sink for pretty towels or bottles of soap and lotion.
– Lighter colors give the illusion of space, so use them generously.
– Make like Julia Child and hang your pots and pans on the wall or from the ceiling to free up some cupboard space.
– Use mirrors behind sofas, beds or other large pieces of furniture to expand the visual boundaries of the room.
– A strategically placed book shelf can serve as a room divider and a major storage unit, all in one.
– Allow your tiny home to be flooded with natural light. Keep windows clear, and if you must cover them, opt for sheer fabrics and shades to let in some beautiful filtered light.
Learning to live in a tiny place is challenging, but worth it. Think of all the extra time, energy, and money you will save when you no longer have a large home to pay for and upkeep.