Yesterday morning’s Daily Shot With Ali Wentworth on Yahoo was an interview with Maxwell Ryan, the Apartment Therapy blog guy. He gave 5 quick tips for thriving in a small space, and he reminded us, “It’s not the square footage that makes it feel small, but a sense of smallness, or the way your eye moves about the room.”
1. Have breathing room. If your book shelf holds 30 books, only put 25 on it. Don’t fill it up. Declutter.
2. Lighting. There needs to be 3 points of light in every room. Your eye removes shadowed areas, so to see the entire room, it needs to be lit.
3. Add some color to white paint to bring a soft hue into your room. Light colors expand and dark colors contract, so using an “off-white” paint brings in light and color.
4. Take doors off whenever possible.
5. Add vertical elements to accentuate height. Use floor to ceiling elements, like curtains or bookshelves to draw the eye up.
See the whole interview here.